EMERGENCY WATER BAN RESCINDED: DROUGHT STATUS WATER RESTRICTIONS IN EFFECT
AUGUST 9, 2022 AT 04:00 PM: Updated 08/10/2022 for Level 3 - Critical Status Change
The Town of Pembroke has rescinded and removed the Emergency Water Ban what has been in place since July 27, 2022 at 3:45 pm. The Town is reverting to required Mandatory Water Use Restrictions. Secretary of Energy and Environmental Affairs Bethany A. Card has declared a Level 3 - Critical Drought in the Southeast region of Massachusetts.
With most of the state currently experiencing an extended heat wave and forecasts predicting little to no meaningful precipitation, water conservation, particularly curbing nonessential outdoor water use, is important to reduce stress on our local water supply systems and our natural habitats. Streamflows have been severely impacted across the Commonwealth, and there are now dry stream beds and ponding visible in many locations. Minimizing water use now will not only allow local water supply systems and natural habitats to rebound more quickly but will also ensure water is available for essential needs, such as drinking water and fire protection.
Mandatory water use restrictions include:
- Minimize overall water use
- Limit outdoor watering to hand held hoses or watering cans, to be used only after 5:00 p.m. or before 9:00 a.m one day per week. If your house number is an odd number, you may water on Wednesday or Friday but not both days. If your house number is an even number, you may water Tuesday or Thursday but not on both days. As an example, if it rains on Tuesday or Wednesday, water instead on Thursday or Friday depending upon whether your house number is even or odd.
Nonessential Outdoor Water Uses that are Subject to Mandatory Restrictions include:
- Irrigation of lawns via automatic irrigation systems
- filling swimming pools
- washing vehicles, except in commercial car wash or as necessary for operator safety
- washing exterior building surfaces, parking lots, driveways or sidewalks, except as necessary to apply surface treatments such as paint, preservatives, stucco, pavement or cement.