Pembroke Historical Society
P.O. Box 122
Pembroke, MA 02359
The Pembroke Historical Society was organized in 1950 and incorporated in 1952. It is located in the museum on land deeded to the Society by the 1952 Annual Town Meeting. It is the site of the former Town Hall. The Historical Society maintains several historic sites in the town..
The Museum building itself : the Museum is comprised of two former one-room school buildings. The former Bryantville School, built in 1847, was donated by Marcus L. Urann and moved to the site in 1952. The former "cedar Swamp Schools" was donated by Mrs. Oliver Amos and moved to the site in 1968. As part
of the nation's 1976 Bicentennial celebration, a Tool Museum was established in the lower level of the Museum Building.
The Adah F. Hall House (c. 1685) : located on Barker St. One of the oldest dwellings in Pembroke, it stands on part of a large grant which Myles Standish gave to Robert Barker, the town's first settler. The structure was deeded to the Historical Society in 1968 as a memorial to its former owner and occupant.
The Friend's Meeting House (1706) : located at Routes 139 and 53. The interior is divided in half, with women sitting on one side and men on the other. In the 18th and 19th centuries, many leading citizens were Quakers. Among the oldest Quaker sites in America, the structure was deeded to the Historical Society in 1973. Friend's Meeting House student brochure. (pdf)
Peter's Well : a 40' X 60' site that pre-dates the Revolutionary War, and was donated to the Society in 1964 by Charles J. Coffin. Located off Fairwood Drive, Peter's Well is all that remains of the homesite of Pierre (Peter) Pelerin and his family. They were among the 6,000 French settlers (Acadians) deported from Nova Scotia by the British at the beginning of the French and Indian War in 1755. Peter's modest cabin was located on property known as Wallis Orchard. according to local legend, an earlier Wallis was among a small group of Huguenots who arrived in Pembroke in 1617 and established Sabbaday and wallis orchards.
Throughout the year there are various small gatherings at each of the sites. Occasionally, the Adah Hall House will hold an open house during the holidays and private groups regularly use the museum building for private functions. During the summer local Quakers use the Friends Meeting House for worship. All sites can be visited by appointment.
Grand Old Fish Fry:
The Grand OL Fish Fry is held in May at the Thomas Reading Memorial Herring Run Park on Rt 14, Pembroke Mass. Fish cake ($6) and Hot dog ($5) meals will be available to purchase. The meals will include corn bread, baked beans and lemonade or coffee. After you have enjoyed your meal and tried your chance at a duck race, you can wander down to the Adah Hall House. The Adah Hall House is open for visits during the fish fry hours of 11-3.
Children's Program : every May the 3rd graders from the 3 elementary schools in Pembroke spend the day learning about Pembroke’s early history. They visit each of the 3 historic buildings maintained by the Society where they participate in activities common in early Pembroke and learn about the history and use of each site. This has become a very successful program and has been integrated into the 3rd grade curriculum
Entrée to the Arts: Prior to the annual Pembroke Arts Festival the Historical Society, in cooperation with the festival committee, hosts this event. Held on Thursday evening before the start of the arts festival, local restaurants and merchants serve food and wine for all to enjoy. This has become a wonderful new fundraising tradition for the Historical Society and the arts festival.
The Pembroke Historical Society is a volunteer organization. New members are always welcome and donations happily accepted.
Renting the museum building: the building is available for private parties who are members of the Pembroke Historical Society. For information contact the Pembroke Historical Society by calling 781-293-9083 or writing PO Box 122, Pembroke, Ma 02359
Local Historical Societies
Marshfield Historical Society
Other Historical information